Sunday, May 28, 2006

Swimming season

I'm a perfectionist dog. Atlas swimming, May 2006Today was the first real day of the swimming season. A few weeks ago, Dad put up the pool. He had been agitating for it for a while, but Mom advised him to hold off until it was warm enough for me to enjoy it. When the weatherman gave the all-clear signal, Dad and Mom labored over the pool for hours. They repaired the holes made by mice (guys, you're going to have to find a better place to store the pool than the mice-infested shed), and Dad painstakingly smoothed out the pool so there were no creases in the bottom. Then they filled it up. It was botched. The pool wasn't centered over the earthworks platform Dad built last year. Or more accurately, it was slightly oval, causing it to hang over the east edge of the earthworks. This caused the pool to tilt dangerously, so it could not be filled very high. I got in one or twice and tried to enjoy myself, but I couldn't even porpoise, let alone really swim. Fortunately, I was saved by a week of bad weather. Otherwise, I would have been forced to come up with daily excuses for not getting in, and I hate that. Dad, I appreciate the effort, but please get it right next time. I had to have Mom empty the pool, move it a few inches west, and refill it. (The water made the pool so heavy that even a powerful dog such as myself could not have moved it.) But I'm a forgiving dog, and the pool was filled in time for today's 90-degree weather. I'll tell you, I really enjoyed that refreshing water after the long walk. I swam and swam and yipped and yipped. I hope I impressed those two Australian Shepherds who moved in next door yesterday. I'd like to see them swim the way I can. Dad, when you were a kid and used to put up pools with Grandpa, you used surveying equipment worth the cost of a new car. Now you are using sticks, fishing line, a $5 level, and gut instinct. C'mon, let's do it right next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Open blog group said...

Mulder wants you to come sailing with us!

http://myhoofers.org/sustainability_cruise

August 30, 2009 8:20 AM  
Blogger AtlasDog said...

I'm retired now, but I still like to swim every once in a while. And you are in the neighborhood. So maybe I'll take you up on it sometime. I hope you'll not be embarrassed if I forge ahead of the boat with my powerful swimming stroke.

August 30, 2009 9:39 AM  
Blogger Streetsy said...

Thats remarkable. Found your site through a random image on google, because Atlas looks identical to my own dog. A Beagle Cross Labrador. Face is slightly different of course but the markings/size/expressions are all the same. I'd send you an image but I cant find an email address on your site.
All the best
Streetsy

June 02, 2011 2:56 AM  
Blogger AtlasDog said...

Streetsy, Beagle cross Lab, eh? Sounds just like me. I'd like to see the photo. You can contact me at atlasdog4 () yahoo dot com.

June 02, 2011 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home