Saturday, May 14, 2005

Will bark for meat

Juno's dollarIt's time for me to get out of the house and get a job.

Mom likes to make fun of me, calling me a lazy dog. But then she admits that my job is to sit on the couch most of the day, then go for a walk and hopefully a swim. And I do a bang-up job at that, don't I, Mom! Darn right.

Still, I sometimes wonder whether I could be more useful to my fellow creatures. Juno helps by finding money when we go on walks, and by peeing on the floor to let Mom know it's time to clean the carpet. The only thing I do other than my assigned duties (see above) is to bark the mailman away every day. I could do with a little more ambition.

That's why I was thrilled to learn of the positions opening up in some place called Andhra Pradesh, India. It seems that a dog's barking woke up police at a police station and warned them of an impending attack by rebels. (Some might wonder why police would be asleep in the station, but I am understanding on matters like that.) Now police there are being ordered to feed street dogs rice and meat to make them feel at home around the stations. "The street dogs will become our ears and eyes," said a police boss.

This sounds great. I love meat and rice, but Mom gives it to me only when I have certain digestive problems that I'd rather not talk about. My only concern is the "street dog" part. I don't know whether I'd qualify. I don't get to walk in the street much--it's either the sidewalk or a park. I've even given up trying to jump in front of big trucks driving down the street, because Mom won't let me and always pulls me back. Maybe I'll have to start trying again, so I can put "street dog" on my job application.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home