Sunday, September 19, 2004

Dog Jog 2004

Atlas wearing medalI'm a victorious dog.

This morning we ran the Dog Jog. The Dog Jog is where you run around in a big circle with your mom or dad, and afterwards you get treats. It happens every year at the University of Wisconsin, the school where Mom works. I always run with Mom, because I'm her dog. Juno runs with Dad, because she's his dog, even though Mom does all the work.

In the past, Mom and I have come in third two or three times, and fourth twice. You don't get to go up on the stand afterwards if you only come in fourth, and Mom wants to go up on the stand. I know how important the race is for Mom, so I always run the whole race without stopping. This is the only occasion where I go for more than 100 yards without stopping to sniff or pee. I also try to make the race fun for Mom by trying to take her to the lake, which is near the race course. That makes Mom mad.

But this year I didn't try to run to the lake. I just ran alongside Mom. I also conserved my energy at the beginning, maybe because Mom has been taking us on runs on-leash at that really cool Governor Nelson State Park. So, I am more used to running.

Guess what: we came in second! When you come in second, you get to go up on the stand, people give you more attention, and better yet, you get a big box of treats.

Juno after raceDad and Juno were in the race, too. Dad wasn't sure how well they'd do. In past races, Juno has stopped to sniff just as much as she does on a normal walk. And Dad hasn't been able to run as much since his knee got hurt at that dog park in 2000. Geez, Dad, I was only three years old at the time--practically a puppy. You don't hold a grudge against me, do you? I didn't think so.

Well, I wasn't going to mention this, but in victory, I'm a magnanimous dog. Dad and Juno actually finished ahead of us. But they didn't get to go up on the stand and they didn't get any treats. (I shared my treats--not that I had any choice.) Mom said that's because Dad's a boy and she's a girl. But I don't understand--I'm a boy, and I got to go up on the stand.

Dad and Mom said they were proud of me and Juno because we were so well-behaved and because we ran the whole race. Maybe we weren't perfect dogs: I did bark at a dog that tried to pass us. And Juno attacked the Giant Schnauzer that crossed the line right after us. I thought that Juno was going to get yelled at. But Mom sympathized. She said that the Schnauzer's mom cheated by "cutting the course", whatever that means, and Juno was sticking up for Mom. Dad wasn't sure that was really the reason. But it only lasted a second. And Mom and I beat the Giant Schnauzer anyway.

Here are some more pictures of the Dog Jog, and some of the winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home