Sunday, April 17, 2005

My pool vs. the Hoover Dam

Pool Earthenworks, April 2005It's the biggest civil engineering project since the Hoover Dam.

That's what Dad says. He's talking about the installation of my pool this year.

The first two years we had the pool, it was on a slanted part of the back yard, so the pool was tilted. As a result, we couldn't fill the pool completely. So, I when I used the pool, I did as much "porpoising" as swimming. (For those of you are who aren't experts at swimming like me, this means you bounce off the bottom.) I had fun. But the pool did not meet the standards of Mom and Dad. I'm glad that I have parents with high standards--at least when it comes to important things.

So this year, Dad bought two cubic yards of dirt and spread out the dirt on the lower part of the area where the pool goes. This made a level platform for the pool. Then yesterday, Mom and Dad set up the pool and filled it. Smoothing out the bottom of the pool takes a long time. It was said that if either of my Grandpas had been there, there would have been foul language. But there were no fouls with just Dad and Mom around.

I didn't realize what was going on. Was that really a swimming pool? Who ever heard of filling a swimming pool in Wisconsin on April 16?

Getting stick from side of poolBut today when we got back from a long, hot walk, I knew what that pool was all about. At first, I was reluctant to get in. Mom tried to entice me in by throwing my big stick into the pool so I'd fetch it. But I fooled her. I got the stick out of the pool from the side, without getting into the pool.

It didn't take long for me to work up the courage to plunge in. The pool is taller than last year, because it has more water in it. But a powerful jumper such as myself can overcome difficulties like that.

Atlas slapping at waterSoon I was swimming and swimming, barking and biting the water. Thanks, Mom and Dad. And you, too, President Hoover.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Hi Atlas,

I really like reading your blog. My name is Baby and I love to swim, too! You are so lucky to have a great pool like that! I like to swim in shallow water though, so a deep pool like that might be scary for me. I live in WI, too. Check out my blog sometime! http://babysdogblog.blogspot.com

May 03, 2005 3:06 PM  
Blogger AtlasDog said...

Baby,

Hey, you're a part Lab like me!
But what's with the fear of deep water? You have an even better pool than I do, from the sounds of it. You should learn to appreciate it.

I had the opportunity to use an in-ground pool once. But I'll save that for a future blog.

I see you are a frequent poster. Keep up the good work.

Atlas Dog

May 03, 2005 8:55 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi Atlas,

I may have misrepresented my pool. It's more of a wading pool but Mom and Dad dug a hole to make it "in ground" so it would be easier to get in to. I like to swim in the clean water at the beaches up north where my Dad goes to school. I like the shallow water because I like to swim at a relaxed pace, right off the shore. Then when I get tired I can just make a quick turn off and get right out. I didn't know about swimming until I picked out Mom and Dad at the shelter so I'm still kind of a beginner. Thanks for visiting my blog!

May 09, 2005 8:49 PM  
Blogger AtlasDog said...

Baby,

I didn't know anything about swimming when I came to live with Mom and Dad. And look at me now. So, don't worry about being a beginner. What's important is that you enjoy it.

May 11, 2005 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep I really appreciate your blog more because my pool needs a lot of cleaniness before it actually get ready for use....See we were given this pool and are trying to learn how to care for it. We seem to have the chemicals in place, but not before a lot of dirt, love bugs, etc...got into the pool. They have settled to the bottom and we can't seem to get the pool cleaned out.

September 20, 2007 4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget about the pool....nice dog :-)

October 30, 2007 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are right nice dog... :)
my friend at aquabot has a dog just like that. They look so alike it's Amazing, my friend dog has a very good nature does this one ave a good nature like that?

June 23, 2008 1:56 PM  
Blogger AtlasDog said...

I am glad to see that swimming pool aficionados are taking to this blog.

I like to think that I am a nice dog. I am also less of a wet dog, because a few weeks ago, the pool was taken down for what is likely the last time. The pool is in bad shape, the house is being sold, and lately I have taken to more deep thinking and less exercise.

June 24, 2008 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home