Sunday, September 11, 2005

Pulled muscle

Atlas on floor with hurt armOh, woe is me. I hurt my right arm yesterday, so today I was not able to compete in the local Ironman Triathlon.

I guess I pulled a muscle jumping off the couch yesterday morning before going for a walk. But I didn't really have a problem during the hour and forty-five minutes we were walking. And when we got home, I played furiously in the pool. When the water level is low the way is has been lately, I love to porpoise (jump around) in the water and bark and bark and bark. Sometimes Dad tells me to be quiet, so I pipe down for 15 seconds or so. When Mom says to be quiet, I know I don't have to take her seriously.

But later in the day yesterday, I was really limping. I knew that this was going to put the kibosh on my triathlon plans.

Now, this isn't the Ironman triathlon in Hawaii, of course. It's the Madison, Wisconsin version run by the same organization. If it had been the Hawaii Ironman, I would have done a little preparation for it--maybe practiced some ocean swimming, or learned how to ride a bike. But a big, strong, healthy dog like myself doesn't need to worry about local competition. My nearly-daily swimming routine and natural talent should certainly carry the day on the first leg of the triathlon. On the last leg, well, I got a second-place trophy in the Dog Jog last year, so it stands to reason that I should be the second-fastest runner in the triathlon. As for the cycling leg, well, if Dad can bicycle, it can't be that hard. I figured I'd borrow one of his bikes--maybe the cool orange one--and learn on the the morning of the race.

But now I'm going to be sidelined--out of the running altogether. Maybe it's just as well. Today the temperature is going to go up to 92 degrees, and I don't mind admitting that I find that uncomfortable. I can't take off my double-layer fur coat for the run.

Now I'm worried about Dog Jog next weekend. Will my injury have healed by then? My trainer, Mom, doesn't know the meaning of the word "rest". I have a feeling I'll be putting in some serious miles this week, leading up to the race. No pain, no gain.

Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Blogger bobzista said...

lol thatz weird but funny

December 12, 2008 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home